[arch-general] ../libtool: line 2083: ark_part.cpp: command not found?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:04:15 EDT 2012

On 03/19/2012 10:42 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
>   I need help, or a link, to find out why libtool isn't working. libtool is
> attempting to use an undeclared variable as a command. The libtool file
> generated includes (beginning at line 2071):
>
> # func_to_tool_file ARG LAZY
> # converts the file name ARG from $build format to toolchain format. Return
> # result in func_to_tool_file_result.  If the conversion in use is listed
> # in (the comma separated) LAZY, no conversion takes place.
> func_to_tool_file ()
> {
>   $opt_debug
>   case ,$2, in
>     *,"$to_tool_file_cmd",*)
>       func_to_tool_file_result=$1
>       ;;
>     *)
>       $to_tool_file_cmd "$1"
>       func_to_tool_file_result=$func_to_host_file_result
>       ;;
>   esac
> }
> # end func_to_tool_file
>
>   The tdeutils build fails at make on the very first file (ark_part.cpp). The
> line that fails is line 2083:
>
> 2083|      $to_tool_file_cmd "$1"
>
>   The problem is '$to_tool_file_cmd' is never declared in 'libtool' resulting in
> the error:
>
> ../libtool: line 2083: ark_part.cpp: command not found

<snip>

  I think that I have found the crux of the issue at the very end of libtool.m4.
That is where to_tool_file_cmd is supposedly set:

AC_MSG_CHECKING([how to convert $build file names to toolchain format])
AC_CACHE_VAL(lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd,
[#assume ordinary cross tools, or native build.
lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd=func_convert_file_noop
case $host in
  *-*-mingw* )
    case $build in
      *-*-mingw* ) # actually msys
        lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd=func_convert_file_msys_to_w32
        ;;
    esac
    ;;
esac
])
to_tool_file_cmd=$lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd
AC_MSG_RESULT([$lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd])
_LT_DECL([to_tool_file_cmd], [lt_cv_to_tool_file_cmd],
         [0], [convert $build files to toolchain format])dnl
])# _LT_PATH_CONVERSION_FUNCTIONS

  This is a direct copy of the arch libtool.m4 file into the admin directory of
tdeutils. I still don't know whether this is a libtool bug or if it is a
tdeutils issues - anybody have a guess? I'll post to the tde list as well. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.