[arch-general] makepkg/PKGBUILD - handle same files provided by 2 non-dependent packages?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Mar 25 13:24:17 EDT 2012

On 03/25/2012 06:55 AM, Matthew Monaco wrote:
> On 03/24/2012 10:44 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>>   I need to know if makepkg/PKGBUILD can handle a check to see whether the same
>> files provided by two different packages (which are not dependencies of each
>> other) exist in the file system to prevent an installation failure due to
>> conflicting files?
>>
>>   The situation is this. Both tdesdk and tdesvn both provide:
>>
>> /opt/trinity/share/services/svn+file.protocol
>> /opt/trinity/share/services/svn+http.protocol
>> /opt/trinity/share/services/svn+https.protocol
>> /opt/trinity/share/services/svn+ssh.protocol
>> /opt/trinity/share/services/svn.protocol
>>
>>   Since neither package is a dependency for the other, tdesvn needs to provide
>> the files if tdesdk isn't installed and tdesdk needs to provide the files if
>> tdesvn isn't installed, but avoid the conflict if both are installed. Is this
>> possible?
>>
>>   If they were dependencies of each other, then that would be an easy fix. If
>> both were assured to be installed, that would also be an easy fix by rm'ing the
>> files from one package or the other, but in the case when either or both can be
>> installed -- How do you handle this?? Thanks for any ideas you have.
>>

> how about tdeproto or the like?

Martin, Baho, Matthew,

  That is exactly what I will do. Hmm.. How would I do that? Could I just
include another package() statement in the pkgbuild that simply packages those
files? I've worked with sip which creates a split package, but it includes a
completely separate build() as well as package. tdesdk is a huge file that I
would not want to have to cp and build twice to get a split package with just 5
files.

  Is there a go-by PKGBUILD that anyone can think of that does just that?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.