[arch-general] fsck on each boot?

Christoph Vigano mail at cvigano.de
Mon Mar 26 09:26:12 EDT 2012

On 03/26/2012 03:09 PM, gt wrote:
> I recently added the fsck hook to mkinitcpio.conf after seeing it being
> recommended in the forums. I don't have a separate /usr though.
>
> Anyway, now after every boot i see:
>
> performing fsck on <root-device>
>
> It shows up clean, and happens in a flash of a second.
>
> So my question is that is the hook supposed to perform fsck everytime?
> Earlier (without the hook), it used to happen only on unclean shutdowns.

Yes, it's supposed to be like this. I think the main intention is to
guarantee a clean root filesystem before trying to mount e.g. a seperate
/home or /usr, which may depend on content of the rootfs (keyfiles,
configuration files, ...).

This all adds up to be a precaution taken by the devs to guarantee a
smooth experience IMO :)

Greetings,
Christoph