[arch-general] Funny issue with bash-completion and __git_ps1

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 02:49:15 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:05:48AM +0200, martin kalcher wrote:
> Hey hey
>
> After the last bash-completion and git update there is a funny issue
> with the Git Prompt [1]: __git_ps1 is not defined
>
> The bash-completion update moved most completion scripts to
> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/
>
> and sources them if needed. See line 1933 in:
> /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
>
> __git_ps1 is defined in:
> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git
>
> So if you type 'git pul<TAB>' this file gets sourced and the error
> disappears. I worked around this by sourcing this file manually in
> my .bashrc
>
> My question is, where i should report this bug. Is it a git problem
> or a bash-completion problem. I think its a git issue, because
> __git_ps1 is no complete function and should be defined somewhere
> else... Or shall i shut my mouth and continue sourcing it in my
> .bashrc?

you can go on sourcing the file in your .bashrc and report the issue upstream.
although my personal opinion to the whole story is pacman -Rcs, since the
problems with bash-completions are old, and the symptoms are recurring, in all
different shapes, and the source code is a legendary mess.

cheers!
mar77i