[arch-general] Grub2

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 02:51:10 EDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 12:42 AM, Ronny Karrestad wrote:
> På Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:43:36 -0000, skrev Don deJuan
> <donjuansjiz at gmail.com>:

>>> Editing grub.cfg is a naughty thing to do with Grub2 :p The "correct"
>>> thing
>>> to do would be to add the fallback to /etc/grub.d/41_custom. However,
>>> Grub
>>> previously automatically detected the fallback correctly. I'm
>>> wondering why
>>> it doesn't now.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> After a kernel panic on boot after todays kernel update (unrelated)
>> while doing things to get back up and running I just realized this as
>> well. I do not have a fallback image for either of the 2 kernels I run
>> for arch.
>
> I think after a grub2 upgrade first you have to install new grub to MBR
> and then update grub config.

I had no issue installing grub2, I only noticed it was missing the
fallback image when I needed it as both my kernel and arch paniced on
boot so was going to try one of those. I ran grub-mkconfig after the
install and it does not find them. I just tried running os-prober and
grub-mkconfig again a couple hours ago with still not luck so just added
them in myself. Also the stated kernel panic and grub2 install did not
happen at the same time I only noticed it was missing due to the panic,
grub2 was done each time it came from the repo's that day.