[arch-general] Complete virtualbox crash starting Archlinux guest after kernel + xorg updates

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:35:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:16:34AM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 03/27/2012 09:04 PM, Martti Kühne wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >virtualbox kept complaining it would not be able to boot my 64 bit machine,
> >since it disacknowledged my processor's AMD-VT capability. The kernel kept
> >panicking just past the grub screen and good bye.
> >After twice modifying my bios setting (which was correct) I tried flashing a
> >new bios ROM which surprisingly helped.
> >
> >Would you share your pngs with us?
>
> Sure, glad to:
>
>   http://phoenix.rlfpllc.com/dl/arch/bugs/vb/Logs/VBox.log.2
>
>   http://phoenix.rlfpllc.com/dl/arch/bugs/vb/Logs/VBox.log.1
>
>   http://phoenix.rlfpllc.com/dl/arch/bugs/vb/Logs/VBox.log
>
>   http://phoenix.rlfpllc.com/dl/arch/bugs/vb/Logs/VBox.png.2
>
>   I never got it working with 3.2.13, so I dropped back to 3.2.11
> and it worked fine again.  I'll try looking at it again later this
> week.
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

00:00:03.343 HWACCM: No VT-x or AMD-V CPU extension found. Reason
VERR_VMX_NO_VMX

Yes, nice to see they have cleaned up some checking code. Now it would be
interesting to make the host system work again.
. Does /proc/cpuinfo show svm{,_lock}/vmx flags?
. Does your bios provide any virtualisation options, and if, are they activated?
. And finally, because it - and I still wouldn't buy it ;D - helped here:
  how old is that bios rom and on what mainboard - and can you try updating it?

cheers!
mar77i