[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Patrick Lauer patrick at gentoo.org
Mon May 7 09:57:23 EDT 2012

On 04/27/12 00:01, Kwpolska wrote:
> When I first saw the topic, I thought "yet another systemd-like piece
> of crap?"  Then I read that this is from Gentoo and the rest of the
> original post and I think it could be nice and I could even switch to
> it one day.  But do you actually need to bother with runlevels or is
> it like arch (everything in $DAEMONS goes to 3 and 5, and 5 can be set
> for X through inittab)?

Well, you get named runlevels which you can call from inittab:

l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
l0s:0:wait:/sbin/halt -dhp
l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
etc. etc.

So if you want to split things like that, yes that's possible.
The advantage is that the runlevels are named, so you have "default",
and you could have "desktop" if you wanted. And if you are really crazy
you could write an acpid rule that switches to "powersave" runlevel if
AC power is removed, etc. etc.

The sky is the limit :)

Take care,

Patrick