[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Patrick Lauer patrick at gentoo.org
Mon May 7 09:54:31 EDT 2012

On 04/26/12 17:08, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick at gentoo.org> wrote:
>> About modules and bloat - for systemd you're going from a few hundred
>> lines of shell to a few hundred thousand lines of mandatory
>> dependencies.
> I have no idea where you get these numbers from, or why they should matter.
These numbers come from comparing the code that is involved in system
startup. If you get really fancy you use something like "sloccount", or
if you're lazy like me you just use wc -l.

It matters because more complexity means more bugs and things are harder
to debug, and that's something where I just can't justify spending more
time on things when they could be kept boringly simple.

If you don't understand that I wonder what you do when something doesn't
work (and please don't answer reinstall)

>> but at the cost of a rather hostile
>> upstream
> I do not have this impression at all. systemd devs certainly have been
> very open to all the suggestions I have made to make it work better on
> Arch.
If you agree with them they are kinda ok.
My ideas tend to conflict with their vision, so I usually see that
others who verbalized the same idea get shot down on the mailinglists
with comments that make me wonder if I'm really confused or reality just
got very bizzare.

>> that likes writing code more than anything and goes in a
>> direction that makes some of us very much not happy, especially as it
>> now corrupts other unrelated projects like udev (oh, systemd-udevd) and
>> syslog-ng (haha, you get journald now!) and so on
> This does not make sense. udev still works the same on systemd-less
> systems and syslog-ng works just fine with (or without) systemd.
Wanna bet? ;)
Already udev lost features and got wrongly renamed, and we haven't even
had a proper release yet.
At this rate we will have to switch to alternatives before the three
next systemd releases are done.

> I am very happy that you are trying to educate us about OpenRC, but if
> you are going to attack systemd please get your facts straight and
> refrain from spreading unsubstantiated FUD.

Lenny started the FUD. I'm slightly annoyed with that, but I'm relying
on facts (see code size, easy to verify) and don't just call other
people stupid, ignorant or call their product obsolete crap.

Although I could do that, but how does that help me to keep things
boring and predictable for me?

Take care and stop being such a grumpy teddybear,

Patrick