[arch-general] Re: RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Nicolas Sebrecht nsebrecht at piing.fr
Wed May 9 04:58:01 EDT 2012

The 07/05/12, Patrick Lauer wrote:

> Nyet. Future very certain. Most of us will stick with OpenRC, and do
> whatever is needed to keep it working.

I don't think so, like developers from inside the Gentoo community
itself...

> Now that systemd upstream has assimilated udev (which confuses nicely,
> but their decision in the end) there's even work to get rid of that
> silly udev, err, systemd-udev, err, systemd dependency. The harder some
> people try to force their ideas on others the faster we get replacements
> to route around the damage.

...because udev is merged into systemd (which makes perfect sense to get
an event-driven boot system).

And dbus will be part of the kernel, soon.

So, what you call "silly dependencies" *are the core* of a Linux system.

These are needed changes to really have expected features in the
beginning of this century. Of course, you could support the old way of
maintaining services and handling init. But the price is to add more
complexity/workload in the middle/long term and become esoteric to
upcoming killer features which will just (or almost, at least) work out
of the box with an event driven init system.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht