[arch-general] Timing issues when decrypting a USB drive during boot (/etc/crypttab)

Julius Adorf jeadorf at googlemail.com
Mon May 14 15:51:58 EDT 2012

>> Where do you store the key anyway?

The key itself is on an encrypted drive, an extra passphrase is not
required for my purposes.

> Sorry didn't read your message carefully. I assumed it was a system
> drive as you were using rc.

Nope, it is an external drive.

> Why not use a udev rule as дамјан mentioned.
> That's what systemd would use anyway. Or even a simple button in your
> gui to mount it.

Thanks for reminding me of udev rules. I've now created a udev rule
which triggers the decryption; even better than the rc.local solution
since it will be decrypted whenever I plug the external drive in. The
timing issue remains. My drive is really slow compared to a very new
one; I will replace it eventually anyway, so it's just a matter of
time that the problem disappears...

J.