[arch-general] rubygems, the arch way and the aur

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat May 19 14:03:11 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM, martin kalcher
<martin.kalcher at googlemail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> My suggestions
>
> I wrote a simple python script that creates PKGBUILDs from the rubygems.org
> API. I wrote it just to figure out if this works, so its pretty straight
> forward and i dont want to publish it it yet. It worked quite nice - it can
> resolve dependencies and stuff like that - but there is one problem at the
> moment. The API does not provide any checksums for the gems, but i opened an
> feature request [0].

> python script

Are you serious?  A Python script for Ruby gems?!  But seriously, a
great idea and an even better scripting language choice.

> With this script i could imagine two things.
>
> Setting up a virtual AUR user, who handles all ruby-* packages. Then we
> create a rubygems account for this user, so we can create a custom rubygems
> feed for this user, with the gems we have in the AUR. Once a day a script
> checks the feed for updated gems and creates new PKGBUILDs, if needed.
> Pretty awesome! If it is possible to integrate this into the AUR, this would
> be my favorite solution. But i could imagine, that some of you will yell:
> 'This not what we consider KISS!'

And others will yell "Patches welcome."  I always wanted to say that, therefore

PATCHES WELCOME.

But seriously, TUs/Developers/what-you-have are too lazy to do it
themselves, and therefore you must learn PHP (can't call it a
programming language, nor a scripting one, it's a PIECE OF SHIT),
write appropriate code (good luck!), create a git-formatted patch and
post it.  Or find a better way to integrate it into the AUR.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post