[arch-general] rubygems, the arch way and the aur

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun May 20 07:27:04 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 3:58 AM, martin kalcher
<martin.kalcher at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hmm.. i will figure out what makepkg actually needs to build the gem
> packages. Does it call pacman, when i call it with -d? This would a problem
> in my case.

-d DOES call pacman, but you can modify makepkg in order to (a) not do
so; (b) work under another distro (that won't be too hard, because:)

> # file -i does not work on Mac OSX unless legacy mode is set
> export COMMAND_MODE='legacy'
 -- makepkg; lines 37-38

And in terms of the "-d calls pacman" thing, here comes output from a
modded makepkg, with $PACMAN (variable holding pacman command)
replaced with 'echo PACMAN': every time.  Run under Arch, as I don't
have access to other distros. (yes, my shell server is running Arch.
No, it isn't my idea.  But it is awesome.)

And in case you ask: this is ruby-jekyll with a different name.  I had
to drop all the building, because my server doesn't have ruby.

[kwpolska@*** testpkg]% makepkg-kw -d
PACMAN
==> Making package: testpkg 0.11.2-1 (Sun May 20 13:11:07 CEST 2012)
==> WARNING: Skipping dependency checks.
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Found jekyll-0.11.2.gem
  -> Found LICENSE
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    jekyll-0.11.2.gem ... Passed
    LICENSE ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
PACMAN
==> Starting build()...
BUILD, my server unfortunately doesn't have ruby
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
==> Creating package...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: testpkg 0.11.2-1 (Sun May 20 13:11:09 CEST 2012)
[kwpolska@*** testpkg]%

If anyone from the makepkg team is reading, would you please mind:
(a) making less use of pacman;
(b) adding -v on lines 1292-1295 in order to inform us that the
compressors are still working?

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post