[arch-general] rubygems, the arch way and the aur

martin kalcher martin.kalcher at googlemail.com
Sat May 19 21:58:37 EDT 2012

Am 20.05.2012 00:08, schrieb Paul Gideon Dann:
> On Saturday 19 May 2012 20:03:11 Kwpolska wrote:
>> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM, martin kalcher
>>> python script
>>
>> Are you serious?  A Python script for Ruby gems?!  But seriously, a
>> great idea and an even better scripting language choice.
>
> Oh dear oh dear; that won't do at all.  Who can seriously *want* to use
> Python?  (Just teasing, people!)
>
> I can't help much with Python code, but I might be able to help with a Ruby
> implementation.  I suspect rubygems probably has some code we could hook into
> to make things easier, actually.
>
> The PKGBUILDs would be pretty trivial, I think; I wonder if it's even worth
> flooding AUR with them.  I like the idea of a proper [rubygems] repository,
> containing repackaged gem files, or simply having them appear in [community].

The [rubygems] repo was my first idea too. But at the moment i have no
access to an arch server to build the packages and provide the repo. I
dont want to build them on my local machine and rsync the packages.

Hmm.. i will figure out what makepkg actually needs to build the gem
packages. Does it call pacman, when i call it with -d? This would a
problem in my case.