[arch-general] Fuse and out-of-date packages in general

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 22:58:48 EST 2012

Hi,

fuse 2.9.2 was released a while ago. This release contains important
bug-fix for deadlock and there are arch users that wait for this
version https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146157

Some time ago I marked the package as out-of-date
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/fuse/ But the package
maintainer seems busy and ignores this package. Is there any way to
force upgrading fuse?

Actually I have more general question. There are many out-of-date
packages that are not updated for a long time. Should other
(non-package owners) take care of it? Is there any way for non Arch
developers participate in package maintenance? I keep in mind
something like MacPorts or Homebrew [1] where anyone can easily send a
package update that can be reviewed and submitted to repo by
developers. I found this is a great way to involve more people into
project, for example I would be happy to send an update to fuse
package. But I cannot find such instructions for Arch contributors.

[1] https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pulls