[arch-general] LUKS, SD card reader and initramfs

Krzysztof Warzecha kwarzecha7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:06:58 EST 2012

Hi,

2012/11/14 Mauro Santos <registo.mailling at gmail.com>:
> (1) Why SD card? Because my laptop has a card reader and by using it I
> don't need to occupy a USB port, so when I'm at home I could insert the
> SD card and forget about it, then when I take the laptop out I don't
> carry the card with me or I remove it as soon as it isn't needed.

Nice idea. I have entire disk encrypted and I keep my /boot on usb
stick (that I carry with me). With unencrypted /boot anyone can access
and modify kernel image and initramfs (for example, to intercept
passphrase).

Boot with 'break=y' in kernel commandline, this will drop you to shell
in initramfs. Check if you are able to access sd card. If not, try to
add some modules to initramfs and try again.

--
Krzysztof Warzecha