[arch-general] Pulseaudio update - mpd now refuses to play as same user

Jan Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 02:08:00 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Pulseaudio from [testing] just updated to 2.99.2-1, now mpd audio
> output (running mpd as my own user) fails with the following:-
>
> Nov 19 14:45 : output: Failed to enable "MPD Pulse Output" [pulse]:
> pa_context_connect() has failed: Connection refused
> Nov 19 14:45 : player_thread: problems opening audio device while playing
> "PointBreak-StandTough.mp3"
>
> Setting up pulseaudio to listen on TCP locally as in the wiki works, but I
> never needed to do that before. Can anyone else verify this? Is it perhaps
> logind related (worked fine before this last pulseaudio update)?

You're running mpd from systemd? I believe it's because PulseAudio now
uses $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/pulse instead of /tmp/pulse-XXXXXX,
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pulse instead of $HOME/.pulse, and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pulse/cookie instead of $HOME/.pulse-cookie.

mpd has no session, so these variables are not set, unlike the session
you login to.

This should be sent upstream (bugs.freedesktop.org).