[arch-general] Pulseaudio update - mpd now refuses to play as same user

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 04:27:09 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Pulseaudio from [testing] just updated to 2.99.2-1, now mpd audio
> > output (running mpd as my own user) fails with the following:-
> >
> > Nov 19 14:45 : output: Failed to enable "MPD Pulse Output" [pulse]:
> > pa_context_connect() has failed: Connection refused
> > Nov 19 14:45 : player_thread: problems opening audio device while playing
> > "PointBreak-StandTough.mp3"
> >
> > Setting up pulseaudio to listen on TCP locally as in the wiki works, but
> > never needed to do that before. Can anyone else verify this? Is it
> perhaps
> > logind related (worked fine before this last pulseaudio update)?
>
> You're running mpd from systemd? I believe it's because PulseAudio now
> uses $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/pulse instead of /tmp/pulse-XXXXXX,
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pulse instead of $HOME/.pulse, and
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pulse/cookie instead of $HOME/.pulse-cookie.
>
> mpd has no session, so these variables are not set, unlike the session
> you login to.
>
> This should be sent upstream (bugs.freedesktop.org).

Hi Jan, thanks for the reply. Sorry for the slightly clueless follow-up,
but it's unclear to me whether 'upstream' here refers to pulseaudio,
systemd, or mpd. Or even whether its actually wrong behaviour.

My understanding of your explanation is that there's no clear
responsibility. mpd does not use (or require) a session, the locations
pulse uses are fairly standard (I've always hated apps using ~/.foo)...