[arch-general] Gentoo udev fork w/o systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Nov 19 18:54:31 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Jérôme Bartand <moijerob at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to bring to your attention that Gentoo is working on a udev fork
> called eudev

Having read through their discussions, it seems that the main two
things they would like to change is to be able to build udev without
building systemd (this does of course not change the resulting code,
but saves time if you have to build everything locally) and to make
the dependency on kmod optional (this might make sense if you don't
have module support in your kernel, but I think the difference would
not be measurable in any way).

Both of those things should be achievable by (trivial) patches to the
buildsystem, so it is not clear to me why a full fork was necessary.
Moreover, if you look at the commits that went in so far, most of it
is shuffling code around without any functional change, except making
back/forward porting of patches really hard...

-t