[arch-general] Gentoo udev fork w/o systemd

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 19:07:00 EST 2012

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:54:31 +0100
Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> Having read through their discussions, it seems that the main two
> things they would like to change is to be able to build udev without
> building systemd (this does of course not change the resulting code,
> but saves time if you have to build everything locally) and to make
> the dependency on kmod optional (this might make sense if you don't
> have module support in your kernel, but I think the difference would
> not be measurable in any way).

Odd, my take was that the main goal was trying to bring back a
separate /usr.

I did post to the arch-general mailing a while back about why the FSF is
wrong on there being no need for a seperate /usr and putting everything
in there without static core binaries in a smaller root is less
reliable. I now wonder if that is because it was broken anyway and
lennart gave a seemingly reasonable justification that may reduce the
complaints.

The other reason I noted was less dependency on upstream decisions or
breakages and this one may have been the debian list but keeping dbus
off servers.