[arch-general] Gentoo udev fork w/o systemd

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 20 05:00:10 EST 2012

Am 20.11.2012 01:07, schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
> Odd, my take was that the main goal was trying to bring back a
> separate /usr.

They believe that the problem is that udev refuses to work with /usr not
mounted. They also believe the problem to be "solved" by just removing
the test. They do not even remotely understand why separate /usr is
broken, and that "fixing" this problem eventually results in installing
everything to / and leaving /usr mostly empty.

They also "fixed" udev by removing blkid support, although util-linux
deprecated the "blkid -o udev" option a while ago.

The general consensus seems to be that they have no idea what they are
doing (see the statements of Greg K-H or Kay Sievers on the topic).

I will buy some popcorn and watch with amusement when the fork dies.