[arch-general] Gentoo udev fork w/o systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Nov 27 07:28:42 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick at gentoo.org> wrote:
> And the actual problem are the users that do not want an initramfs -
> things booted without one the last few decades, why add some machinery
> now that doesn't improve anything? (I mean, we could boot before, so
> what's the *feature* we gain ?)

Lots of stuff will silently fail, there is a list here:
<http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken>.
In most cases the failures are not serious enough that people care
(such as locale handling failing in early boot), but they are still
failures.

Anyway it really has nothing to do with systemd or udev, both of which
work fine without an initramfs and with a separate /usr.

>> Gentoo is still using udev v171
[...]
> It's the regressions that force us to an old version,

Is upstream aware of your bugs? I'm not currently aware of any open
udev bugs, so if you still have problems with the latest version
please let us know on the udev or systemd ML.

Cheers,

Tom