[arch-general] LVM Thin Provisioning

Curtis Shimamoto sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:43:04 EST 2012

> Thank you for your response.  I loaded the module using "modprobe
> dm_thin_pool" and it can be seen using
>
> # lsmod  | grep dm_
> dm_thin_pool           39196  0
> dm_persistent_data     37291  1 dm_thin_pool
> dm_bufio               14228  1 dm_persistent_data
> libcrc32c               1002  1 dm_persistent_data
> dm_snapshot            28351  0
> dm_zero                 1247  0
> dm_mod                 72105  5 dm_zero,dm_bufio,dm_thin_pool,dm_snapshot
>
> and
>
> # dmsetup targets
> thin-pool        v1.4.0
> thin             v1.4.0
> snapshot-merge   v1.1.0
> snapshot-origin  v1.7.1
> snapshot         v1.10.0
> zero             v1.0.0
> striped          v1.5.0
> linear           v1.1.0
> error            v1.0.1
>
> however, I still get the same error message when trying to create a thin
> volume/pool.  I couldn't find any options in lvm.conf that needed to be set
> either.  Is there something else I can try?
>

> --
> Yesterday is history.
> Tomorrow is a mystery.
> Today is a gift.
> That's why its called the present.
>
> Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
> Close the world  txen eht nepo
> $3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
> https://github.com/headmastersqual <http://twitter.com/headmastersqual>l

I looked through the options of LVM2 and compared them with the PKGBUILD
from ABS.  It would appear as though the default is to not enable
thin-provisioning, and the PKGBUILD does not have any inclusion of that
option either.

/tmp/makepkg/src/LVM2.2.02.98 $ ./configure --help
--with-thin=TYPE        thin provisioning support: internal/shared/none
                          [[TYPE=none]]

It appears as though you need to edit the PKGBUILD and build yourself.

Regards,
--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com