[arch-general] Deleting fontconfig symlinks

Lewis Pike phaselocker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 10:49:02 EST 2012

Previously, my way of disabling parts of the default fontconfig
configuration was to delete the related symlinks in /etc/fonts/conf.d.
Now that these symlinks are owned by the fontconfig package rather
than created during the post-install script [1], I'm finding that
these deleted symlinks are restored whenever fontconfig is upgraded.
This has the effect of silently modifying my font configuration.

1. What is the recommended way of disabling parts of the default font
   configuration such that it survives an upgrade of fontconfig?

2. Is simply changing any unwanted symlinks owned by fontconfig to
   point to /dev/null an advisable solution?

3. If /dev/null is used as a target what will pacman do when
   fontconfig is upgraded?

--Lewis

[1]
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/fontconfig&id=839d0ea7777882fe13a0b2395f3abd16b68d45cc