[arch-general] Debugging kernel panics (ATI Catalyst related?)

Martín Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Mon Oct 15 00:11:45 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> wrote:

> After the last updates, I was getting a kernel panic at reboot;
> hard-resetting and then powering on again and it seems to boot fine.
>
> I suspect the problem has to do with the ATI Catalyst driver, as the
> panics occurred when rebooting after upgrading or downgrading the driver. I
> originally upgraded to 12.9, but rolled back to 12.8 after discovering that
> 12.9 broke my screen brightness keys. I also had to roll back Xorg to 1.12
> because Catalyst doesn't support the new Xorg yet.
>
> Both times I rebuilt the module and (just to be sure) the kernel image
> before rebooting. I rebuilt them again once the system was back up,
> rebooted, and it worked.
>
> Any ideas how to debug, seeing as this just sort of popped up
> out-of-the-blue? If the kernel even logs a panic, where do I find it so I
> can figure out what caused it?

I myself am suited with Radeon opensource drivers for all my needs -
GoogleEarth and Blender, you should try it.
As for your Catalyst specific glitchs it might be a better place to post
your issue at the AMD / ATi Bar & Grill at the forums since that thread is
created and maintained by Vi0L0 himself, the Catalyst packager and
supporter: