[arch-general] Debugging kernel panics (ATI Catalyst related?)

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 05:39:53 EDT 2012

On 15/10/12 15:11, Martín Cigorraga wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After the last updates, I was getting a kernel panic at reboot;
>> hard-resetting and then powering on again and it seems to boot fine.
>>
>> I suspect the problem has to do with the ATI Catalyst driver, as the
>> panics occurred when rebooting after upgrading or downgrading the driver. I
>> originally upgraded to 12.9, but rolled back to 12.8 after discovering that
>> 12.9 broke my screen brightness keys. I also had to roll back Xorg to 1.12
>> because Catalyst doesn't support the new Xorg yet.
>>
>> Both times I rebuilt the module and (just to be sure) the kernel image
>> before rebooting. I rebuilt them again once the system was back up,
>> rebooted, and it worked.
>>
>> Any ideas how to debug, seeing as this just sort of popped up
>> out-of-the-blue? If the kernel even logs a panic, where do I find it so I
>> can figure out what caused it?
>>

> I myself am suited with Radeon opensource drivers for all my needs -
> GoogleEarth and Blender, you should try it.
> As for your Catalyst specific glitchs it might be a better place to post
> your issue at the AMD / ATi Bar & Grill at the forums since that thread is
> created and maintained by Vi0L0 himself, the Catalyst packager and
> supporter:

I couldn't get the open-source drivers to work, all I got was a blank
screen, and that was from fresh install. I had a look at the road map
for the Xorg drivers and I got the impression that work on the driver
that supports my cards is far from complete.

The only reason I'm suspecting Catalyst is because those were the
updates done prior to the panics, and I can't replicate it now.