[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] iproute2 to base

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 18 20:19:48 EDT 2012

[2012-10-18 15:15:02 -0400] Leonid Isaev:
> On 10/16/2012 08:21 PM, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> >
> >Since routers do not need netcfg any more than they do wpa_supplicant,
> >with your reasoning, it should not be in base either...
> >

> YMMV apparently, but in my experience a router needs:
> (1) Some way to stick to the (usually creepy) ISP DHCP server, i.e.
> keep retrying to obtain IP if the DHCP server doesn't respond.
> (2) Bridging support.
>
> The former is solved with net-auto-wired (ifplugd is quite good),
> while the latter -- with "bridge" profiles in netcfg. So without
> netcfg I would have to write my own boot scripts.

You may solve these problems with whatever piece of software you want.
On my router, I simply use iptables' FORWARD chain. My point being that
there are dozens of apps that do the same thing netcfg does; however
wpa_supplicant is the only one that does what it does.

> I understand your logic, but still think that wpa_supplicant should
> be optional. Since there are no core images, anyone who wants to use
> a machine as a station will install wpa_supplicant anyways over the
> already working network...

And how is this not different for netcfg? I understand you have use for
one but not the other, but please try to be a little objective...

--
Gaetan