[arch-general] Unable to mount external USB HD from two of my USB ports

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 02:16:04 EDT 2012

I've been having troubles mounting an external USB HDD to two of the three
USB ports on my laptop. dmesg reports a timeout connecting to the device;
plugging in other devices to the same ports works fine with no errors. I've
attached the log here[1].

The drive in question is a Seagate 1.5 TB Expansion Portable Drive, model
ST1500LM003-9YH148. I reformatted it upon purchase to have two partitions,
a NTFS one for Windows compatibility, and an Ext4 one for Linux backups and
miscellanea. Each partition is ~750GB in size.

Any idea what is going on? I think the issue may be with the drive, which
is virtually brand new (I bought it ~3 months ago).

[1] https://gist.github.com/3916478