[arch-general] Filesystem and /etc/shadow

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Oct 25 17:54:25 EDT 2012

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:44:41 -0600
Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net> wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 02:36 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Manolo Martínez
> > <manolo at austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> >> The update to filesystem-2012.10-2 brings with it a new /etc/shadow.
> >> This is one of the cases in which inspecting the diff between what I
> >> have and the .pacnew doesn't give any insight (to clueless users such as
> >> me). Could anyone provide a summary of what we should change in our
> >> current /etc/shadow?
> >
> > Without the diff of the old and the new /etc/shadow I'm not sure
> > exactly what you are asking.
> >
> > Have a look in "man 5 shadow", this should hopefully explain what the
> > difference between the two files are.
> >
> > Unless something has gone wrong, you should be able to either ignore
> > or merge the change and it should not make a difference, the reason
> > /etc/shadow was changed was so that it would be in the correct state
> > on a fresh install, for existing installs it should not matter.
> >
> > -t
> >

> The change was with "uuidd". You can view changes like this here [1].
>
> Also, as a general tip, I go through shadow, passwd, group, and gshadow
> occasionally and make sure all of the groups/users from filesystem are first,
> then all of the lines I've added, and finally all of the lines that were
> added by package install files.
>
> [1]
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/log/trunk/shadow?h=packages/filesystem

While merging *.pacnew files is important, I would suggest not to mess with
shadow files manually. They contain user/group info, and the
missing/extraneous users/groups should be either dealt with via
{user,group}add and {user,group}del or via pacman install scripts (which
call the above utils anyway, like it was done in the case of uuidd).
--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D