[arch-general] urxvtd frequently crashes

Thanos Zygouris athanasios.zygouris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 05:05:43 EDT 2012

On Wed 31 Oct 17:13, Robbie Smith wrote:
> On my new install I've been using urxvtd to run terminals, and I'm
> finding that it frequently crashes. Either I'll switch to a window
> and it won't redraw or accept input, or I'll close a window and all
> of them will close. I was using the script in the urxvtc man page to
> spawn a daemon as required, and that either results in memory usage
> skyrocketing, or heaps of processes spawned waiting to connect to
> the daemon.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Searching the interweb has thus far found
> nothing except that if urxvtd crashes it brings down all the clients
> (which I've become quite aware of). AFAIK there's no glitches in my
> ~/.Xresources[1]
>
> I usually have a tmux session or two running, so I don't lose much,
> but it's still annoying when I lose an active download with aria2 or
> something like that.
>
> Robbie
>
> [1] https://gist.github.com/3985284

I also use urxvtd everyday for the last 3 years, but it doesn't crash at
all.

The notable differences in your Xresources and mine are:
1) the fonts. I use non xft. (terminus)
2) i have 1/4 of your scrollbuffer (4096 lines)
3) i use defaults,matcher as perl-ext-common, and don't use
   clipboard,selection or url-select at all.(matcher is a url launcher
   after all)

Also, i don't use any kind of script to launch my terminals. Just a
urxvtd -q -f -o on .xinit, and simple urxvtc afterwards.