[arch-general] urxvtd frequently crashes

Thomas Jost schnouki at schnouki.net
Wed Oct 31 12:16:34 EDT 2012

Le 31 octobre 2012 à 15:55 CET, DR a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On my new install I've been using urxvtd to run terminals, and I'm finding
>> that it frequently crashes. Either I'll switch to a window and it won't
>> redraw or accept input, or I'll close a window and all of them will close.
>> I was using the script in the urxvtc man page to spawn a daemon as
>> required, and that either results in memory usage skyrocketing, or heaps of
>> processes spawned waiting to connect to the daemon.
>>
> I've witness exactly same behavior before. The two problems you encounter
> are likely to have the same root cause: memory corruption in urxvt.
>
> I don't know what exactly went wrong, but when I stop using urxvt's perl
> plugins, the problem seems to disappear (at least I've seen it for a long
> enough time).

I had the same problem too. It happened sometimes with plain urxvt
(perhaps once a week), and much more often with urxvtd (several times a
day).

I ended running urxvtd in gdb, and when it crashed the backtrace indeed
indicated that Perl had something to do with it (double-free or other
errors from glibc).

Here are the plugins I used: default,cspace,matcher,tabbedex (all in
perl-ext).

When I got tired of it I switched to Terminator. It's far from perfect
(and VTE kind of sucks), but I love the tiled terminals.

--
Thomas/Schnouki