[arch-general] Postgresql with Systemd

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 05:55:39 EDT 2012

On Thursday 06 Sep 2012 09:37:51 you wrote:
> Yeah, I spotted that too, and this is probably related, but I'm not getting
> a hang.  After the segfault, php-fpm actually continues to work (maybe just
> the worker dies and a new one is spawned?), and phpMyAdmin works with MySQL
> just fine, but phpPgAdmin doesn't, even though Postgres is clearly
> operating correctly.
>
> Very strange...(Penny Lane...)

It's been a tough week (evidenced by the fact that I posted to the list in
frustration), and it turns out I wasn't careful enough with my basic checks.

The problem was exactly what I thought it was originally: the systemd unit file
for php-fpm must have PrivateTmp=false, or it won't see the Postgres socket.

Bug tracker ticket created: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31436

All the other failures were because Firefox was remembering the wrong login
details for phpPgAdmin.  (Schoolboy error!)

Simple fix: create /etc/systemd/system/php-fpm.service with the following
contents:

-------
.include /usr/lib/systemd/system/php-fpm.service

[Service]
PrivateTmp=false
-------

This makes things work for me.  The segfaulting still happens, but isn't a
blocker for me, as the service works fine despite it.

Paul