[arch-general] amd64 systems and archlinux

Curtis Shimamoto sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:21:14 EDT 2012

On 09/11/12 at 09:58am, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Curtis Shimamoto <
> sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The link I provided clearly shows you how to install to the mbr of a
> > partition.
> >

> As Bjoern Franke pointed out previously in this thread, there is no such
> thing as "the MBR of a partition". MBRs are only at the beginning of
> devices, not partitions. The guide you linked explains how to install grub
> to "the boot sector of a partition".
>
> It may seem like nit-picking, but I think that precision in this kind of
> issues is important, because a confused user could very well wipe out all
> his data...
>
> --
> Rodrigo

Okay, I can agree with that.  In any case, it seemed as though th OP did
not bother to really read through the page I linked to.  If he/she had,
he would have seen the incredibly not recommended option to install to
the boot sector of the partition.

Unfortunately, in this case, one is made to use the --force flag to make
it work w/o grub complaining.

--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com