[arch-general] Proprietary nvidia driver for different kernels

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Mon Sep 17 12:18:13 EDT 2012

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:27:04 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately I can't install nouveau-dri, since this conflicts with
> libgl and nvidia-utils and I'll use the proprietary driver with the
> standard kernel.

If I were you, I'd try nouveau all the way.  only reason not to would
be gaming.  One thing I still have to check out though is if the
support for vblank is working, otherwise it might have some tearing
when watching video.

But I agree, it's a pain switching between nvidia and nouveau, but I'd
be inclined to blame nvidia itself for that...:)

In any case it's nice to see that a opensource alternative to the
closed nividia driver is available and working better all the time!

--

   Joakim