[arch-general] Has arch considered switching x86 to PAE by default

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 11:17:29 EDT 2012

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I read not too long ago that one of the major distros is switching to
> > PAE by default but I forget which distro, maybe Ubuntu.
> >
> > Has arch considered PAE by default.
>
> It has been discussed repeatedly in the past. Consensus seems to be
> that it is a bad idea.
>
> E.g.: <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2009-October/014142.html>,
> or <http://cl4ssic4l.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/linus-torvalds-about-pae/>.

Fair enough, whilst I think the link (if it is by Linus) is over the top
I assume he must have good reason for being so flagrant.

I assume the main point is install 64-bit, some have said 64-bit is
slower in some respects but I expect that's marginal and will be glad
when everything runs perfectly on 64-bit.

I will say I have 4 OS running on a PAE kernel right now using >3Gig of
mem and it's running well but I did also disable PAE along with various
other things on one system that was struggling with performance.

Seems 12.04 may have moved to PAE by default but I'm not sure of that?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/122841/why-is-12-04-using-a-pae-dependent-kernel-by-default

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)