[arch-general] finally got a talking archlinux installed!

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Sep 21 23:35:41 EDT 2012

Creation of a separate /boot partition helped.  I did it with syslinux,
and have partition structure of /dev/sda1 /boot 50MB /dev/sda2 swap 1024MB
/dev/sda3 /mnt 15440MB and /dev/sda4 /home remainder of the disk.  Since
in this configuration, /dev/sda3 correctly points to /root I left it alone
but edited syslinux.cfg to point at linux-lts and also changed ro to rw at
the end of those append lines.  I did that after booting the machine and
waiting an hour then hitting enter to get anything going.  I heard
archlinux start talking but also heard message failed to create secure
directory again.  So the rw on those append lines has if only temporarily
enabled this system and disk writes to work.  I don't have authority to
edit the beginner's guide, and do have to question if anyone really did
follow those instructions to the letter and come out of it with a working
system.