[arch-general] Mailing list closed for 24 hours

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Sep 28 06:33:55 EDT 2012

On Sep 28, 2012 12:01 PM, "Nicolas Sebrecht" <nsebrecht at piing.fr> wrote:

> The 28/09/12, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>
> > We have recently seen on this very mailing list that for every person
> > posting considerate opinions, there are dozens who just pollute threads
> > with fear, uncertainty, doubt, and just sheer incompetence.
>
> I'm very confident that an open dev mailing list with topic-oriented
> policy would just work. I'm so confident because this is how the Gentoo
> dev mailing list works and it works well.

An option could be to enable moderation on dev-public, still defaulting to
rejecting everything, but allow through high-quality contributions from the
outside.

I agree that we should create a venue for would-be contributors to engage
with us, but i also agree that we don't want to end up with non
constructive content in dev-public, and we don't want to waste time on
justifying rejecting/banning things (it should stay high-quality and low
volume as we expect all devs and all users of testing to read it
thoroughly).

I don't know the best solution, just throwing out an idea.

Tom