[arch-general] Mailing list closed for 24 hours

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:27:26 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2012 12:01 PM, "Nicolas Sebrecht" <nsebrecht at piing.fr> wrote:
>>
>> The 28/09/12, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>>
>> > We have recently seen on this very mailing list that for every person
>> > posting considerate opinions, there are dozens who just pollute threads
>> > with fear, uncertainty, doubt, and just sheer incompetence.
>>
>> I'm very confident that an open dev mailing list with topic-oriented
>> policy would just work. I'm so confident because this is how the Gentoo
>> dev mailing list works and it works well.
>
> An option could be to enable moderation on dev-public, still defaulting to
> rejecting everything, but allow through high-quality contributions from the
> outside.
>
> I agree that we should create a venue for would-be contributors to engage
> with us, but i also agree that we don't want to end up with non
> constructive content in dev-public, and we don't want to waste time on
> justifying rejecting/banning things (it should stay high-quality and low
> volume as we expect all devs and all users of testing to read it
> thoroughly).
>
> I don't know the best solution, just throwing out an idea.
>
> Tom

It "might" work - but some lucky person would have to go through the
rejected stuff and filter out the worthwhile posts to allow through -
if I was a dev/moderator I might not want to undertake that task!  At
least at the moment the read only dev list is not polluted with "c**p"
as Allan might say!

I am sure there must be a significant number of people who are simply
not interested in seeing the "flame wars"/"troll posts" at all - so
not having them in the list to start with for me at least is the
better option - i.e. the status quo.  On the other hand is it possible
to "apply" for write permission to the dev list for non-devs?  Though
I would not like to be the person making those decisions either!

If anyone has been subscribed to the Fedora General list in the past
year or so, then you will have seen equally long running and equally
non-productive troll threads there - (one reason I unsubscribed from
that list some time ago).

I do like clean clear concise and logical technical discussion which I
expect is the view of many others too!

--
mike c