[arch-general] Mailing list closed for 24 hours

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:07:33 EDT 2012

Op 30 sep. 2012 06:37 schreef "Nicholas MIller" <nick.kyky at gmail.com> het
volgende:

> On Sep 29, 2012 10:26 PM, "Oon-Ee Ng" <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <1007380 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > ...sometimes I want to contact the
> > > devs to bring something up or ask a question on it.
> >
> > There's a bug tracker where you can directly contact maintainers, for
> > bugs/feature requests. For 'questions' I'd think that's not really the
> > responsibility of the maintainers/devs/TUs.
> >
> > Example:-
> > 1. Program A crashes when I do X
> > 2. Why is this configure flag not enabled for library B?
> > 3. The documentation-supplied config for application C doesn't run.
> > 4. How do I set up a server using D?
> > 5. Why was this decision made for application/library E?
> >
> > 1, 2, and 3 are suitable for the bug tracker (maybe more suitable for
> > upstream bug tracker though, in some cases). 4 should not be directed
> > at devs or TUs, ever. 5, depending on content, is a feature request or
> > a topic going nowhere (hence TGN in the forums).
> >
> > I do not support the opening of arch-dev-public (its supposed to be an
> > announcement list) nor the creation of any other channel for devs to
> > be contacted. Its the community's responsibility to keep arch-general
> > clean enough that devs/TUs don't quit it. arch-discussion etc. would
> > not help simply because in general the endless topics ARE initially
> > technical, and most of us have a fuzzy line between technical topics
> > and our personal opinions on them anyway.
>
> When i first say the suggestion of another list (discussion)i thought it
> might be a good idea however
>
> The line between technical and opinion usually seem the same at the start

+1 from me.

There are sometimes quite interesting details mentioned in the OT threads.
A -discuss list would be a good place for those, without cluttering
-general.
(yes, i'm being an optimist here ;-).

Opening dev-public would take some serious manpower. I see a little
advantage but quite an investment (manpower, not financial). Better leave
it as-is.

Mvg, Guus