[arch-general] Mailing list closed for 24 hours

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 21:29:49 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are sometimes quite interesting details mentioned in the OT threads.
> A -discuss list would be a good place for those, without cluttering
> -general.
> (yes, i'm being an optimist here ;-).
>
> Opening dev-public would take some serious manpower. I see a little
> advantage but quite an investment (manpower, not financial). Better leave
> it as-is.

This is Arch, after all. Someone could just start a
community-supported-and-maintained arch-unofficial-discuss list. Might
be a good way for those who want to contribute but don't have the
technical skills needed by devs/TUs to actually do something
Arch-related.

It would need to be clearly labelled as unofficial, and marketing that
list would be tough, but the benefits are:-
a) devs/TUs not distracted from their primary roles
b) community involvement
AND if it actually gains traction:-
c) a place would exist for non-technical discussion (above and beyond the IRC)

Of course, if such a list was unmoderated and became a flame fest most
would just unsubscribe, but if too heavily moderated noone would be
interested as well... good luck =)