[arch-general] Another 'gotta be something idiotic': trying to create bootable USB thumb drive

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 14:23:45 EDT 2013

On 12 April 2013 10:00, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:

> On 4/11/2013 6:00 PM, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
>>
>> It's possible the drive just can't be used for anything but what
>> SanDisk intended (and support will just tell you that "Linux is
>> not supported by SanDisk.") Trying to manipulate the MBR or any
>> other sector outside the main data partition immediately causes the
>> drive to shut down, maybe to protect its functionality. At least I
>> believe that's what I'm seeing here.
>>
> This clearly falls within the range of 'gotta be something idiotic',
> just different from what I expected. My guess is you've nailed it.
>
> I guess I'll head back to Best Buy for a different brand.

Hi David

Before you do that, did you try using the tool mentioned in the Ubuntu
thread to remove unwanted firmware partitions, if any? If not, you may
want to format the entire thing with an HP legacy formatting tool.¹

I've used it successfully in the past to reclaim full functionality
from such stubborn vendor-locked storage devices that won't let you
manipulate them with standard tools. Worth a try, I say.

¹ http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1