[arch-general] Another 'gotta be something idiotic': trying to create bootable USB thumb drive

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Fri Apr 12 22:07:49 EDT 2013

On 4/12/2013 11:23 AM, Ray Rashif wrote:
> Before you do that, did you try using the tool mentioned in the Ubuntu
> thread to remove unwanted firmware partitions, if any? If not, you may
> want to format the entire thing with an HP legacy formatting tool.¹
> I've used it successfully in the past to reclaim full functionality
> from such stubborn vendor-locked storage devices that won't let you
> manipulate them with standard tools. Worth a try, I say. ¹
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml
> -- GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
I hadn't.

The frustration on that thread is pretty intense, and apparently for
good reason. The tool ran, looked for all the world like it had done
something, but then when I got back to the Arch Linux wiki entry, I got
the same error.

Gee, this is frustrating.

Is this the new thing, now, that you can't use thumb drives--apparently
any thumb drives--to boot a system?