[arch-general] Another 'gotta be something idiotic': trying to create bootable USB thumb drive

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 14 10:14:53 EDT 2013

On 14 April 2013 12:13, Kyle <kyle at gmx.ca> wrote:
> According to Rashif Ray Rahman:
> # -- with UUID. I dislike hardcoding label names as they are likely to
> # change, but UUIDs are static (barring reformats).
>
> I greatly prefer labels, because they are human readable, chosen by the
> end user, and unless I'm totally misunderstanding how they work, only
> change if the end-user manually changes them. The same label can even be
> reused after a reformat, as long as it is specified exactly as it
> appeard before the old filesystem was deleted. On the other hand, UUID's
> are only computer readable, change on every format, and make absolutely
> no sense to the end user when trying to figure out what drive or
> partition contains what filesystem.

Kyle, in general, I agree with you. From a usability perspective, long
strings of alphanumeric characters to identify something are just a
total PITA.

Using UUIDs is simply a habit I incurred from having to swap disks and
systems around, where I am allowed to "deploy once and forget".

In my experience, it has solved more problems. But, to each her own,
as every use case is different. I was just suggesting an alternative,
which may or may not work well for the use case.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1