[arch-general] The "new" opensmtpd package

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at osvaldobarrera.com.ar
Thu Apr 18 00:32:49 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-17 22:04, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
> <hugo at osvaldobarrera.com.ar> wrote:
> > One of the problems with the new package in [community], is that it's
> > build configuration differs SO MUCH from the defaults (and my own
> > package), that their settings are incompatible. I belive this goes
> > against the Arch way, which is to stay as close as possible to upstream.
> Dude. Against the Arch way... you are harsh.
>
> There is NO patch[1]. Only configure options (provided by upstream).

Yes, but they differ from the defaults for no aparent reason.
For example, since the sysconfdir was different, upon update, my email
stop being sent from most machines (only my desktop kept working, since
I run opensmtpd-snapshot on it).
Also, since the user that runs smtpd is different, my spool was
inaccesible to the daemon once I fixed that.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34835
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34836

> > At first, I though I'd contact the author, but I couldn't find out
> > how. The PKGBUILD does not include the maintainer's email, and he's not
> > listed as a TU or Dev.
> You can find me on the TU page[3] and details about opensmtpd in the
> package page[4] (hint: Maintainer field).

Indeed, you're in the TU page, so that was my mistake. I think I use
ctrl+f, and didn't type in the accent when searching for you

> > Finally, I'm a bit surprised as to how this happened. I planned to
> > propose to move my own package from AUR to [community] at some point,
> > but not yet, since it only has 7 votes (way less than what the wiki
> > describes neccesary).
>
> Be delighted with this move. You will not have to maintain it yourself anymore.
> No need to thanks TUs and Developers for their work. It's free as beer.

Mind you, I *am* thankful, and I'm glad that opensmtpd moved into
[community], since it's a piece of software I'd very much like to see
grow and this is a huge step in that direction. But it would have
been nice to have gotten some notice or something, since I maintained
an extremely similar packge in AUR. I know you didn't base your package
on mine, but just as a simple courtesy/heads up.

> > Secondly, I'm confused as to how this is done. If
> > there's a package in AUR, isn't that moved into [community] instead of
> > writing a brand new one?
> I'm sorry, I doesn't took your package. I was not "inspired" by what
> you do and I started a new one from scratch.
> No offense!

No offense taken, though I'm actually curious as to why that was.

> > Please don't take this as a rant of "You broke my email setup!",
> > but rather as a "Hey, this isn't very transpart to the community; how
> > do these thing happen? How do I contact the maintainer? What was the
> > procedure to get this package into [community]? Is there any way I can
> > participate in it's maintenence?"
> Transpart?

Oops, I meant transparent. For example, I had not expected it to be
possible to move opensmtpd into [community] due to the low amount of
votes the package had, so I was rather curious as to HOW that package
made it into [community]. This has been clarified offlist though.

> You can participate by suggesting new behaviour / stuff into our bug
> report system[2]. By offering your help to upstream developper.
> Or if you want helps Archlinux on more than one package, you can start
> walk the path to become a TU.

I've honestly considered this a few times, but I don't really participate
in IRC/forums enough to qualify, IMHO. Nor am I familiar with any TU to
seek sponorship.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera