[arch-general] XFCE broken with Gnome 3.8?

Kinney Baughman baughmankr at appstate.edu
Mon Apr 22 23:22:33 EDT 2013

On 04/22/2013 11:05 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 04/22/2013 02:42 PM, Narve wrote:
>> I'm running Xfce with LXDM and it works smoothly even with the new
>> gnome version - tho the only packages from the gnome-group I have
>> installed are those:
>>
>> narve ~ % pacman -Qg gnome [20:38:45 on 13-04-22]
>> gnome gnome-icon-theme
>> gnome gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
>> gnome xdg-user-dirs-gtk
>>
>> Two of those are even dependencies for xfce4-settings, so they kinda
>> "belong to the suite"..
>> So it's either some breakage caused by other gnome packages or
>> something completely different.
>>
>> Narve
>>

> It's something unique to my user settings, although I haven't been
> able to pin down exactly what yet.  When I launch XFCE as a different
> user it works fine.
>
> That said, XFCE has been working fine with my configuration for months
> (years?), so it's actually rather frustrating to have it break like this.

I feel your pain.

I recently wanted to re-write the wiki because of issues I was having
with ssh X forwarding.  That's when a respondent insisted I review my
settings because the wiki was correct.  Sure enough, I found a directive
in my .bashrc, a long-forgotten attempt to solve another problem, that
was doing me in.

The lesson I learned from that was to beware of carrying over a .bashrc
for too many installations.  You might start with the .bashrc of the
"different user" you indicate worked and gradually start adding back
commands as they exist in your existing .bashrc file.

The same should be said of your .xinitrc and .Xresources files.

There *is* a reason for why things go wrong even though we don't want to
admit it's our fault sometimes! :-)

Good luck.

Kinney