[arch-general] Gnome 3.8 and desktop background

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Apr 24 02:24:47 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Jonathan Hudson <jh+arch at daria.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:49:24 +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>>Gnome 3.8 has now hit the official repos and it looks great.  They
>>only thing I can't seem to get to work is the desktop background.  I
>>try to set it to a nice image I have, but my desktop background
>>remains a dull grey.  The only place I see a change is in window
>>overview mode.  The only way to get the background on my ordinary
>>desktop is to turn off "Have file manager handle the desktop" in Tweak
>>Tool, but then I lose the icons from my desktop.  Please tell me I'm
>>not forced to chose the lesser of these evils and that there is
>>something I've missed ;)
>>
>>/M
>
> You are using an old theme. Set up with the default theme and you'll
> get a background. Then try and find a theme that (a) works with 3.8 and
> (b) you like.

I'm currently using the theme Nokto-3.8[1] which claims to be working
with 3.8 and [2] is a screenshot of when the file manager isn't
handling the background, and [3] is when it is handling it.  This is
how it looks with all 3.8 themes I've tried (not that many I have to
admit) and also with my old 3.6 theme.  If this really is caused by
the theme, where can I find a theme that *does* work?

/M

[1]: http://cbowman57.deviantart.com/art/Nokto-3-8-363805533
[2]: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187401/without-fm.png
[3]: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187401/with-fm.png