[arch-general] OpenNTPd not correcting time on boot

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 09:33:58 EDT 2013

On Thursday 08 Aug 2013 13:49:26 Joe Eaves wrote:
> OpenNTPd seems not to support that option, so it didn't work.
>
> I tried switching to NTP, which does support 'iburst', and now it all works
> how I want it to.
>
> NTP fails as well if I don't include the 'iburst' option, so it seems odd
> to me that OpenNTPd wouldn't support anything even similar.
>
> Doesn't matter though, all happy now :)

I remember I switched to stock NTP from openntpd a while back because of a
discussion I saw on this mailing list concerning its suitability for cross-
platform use.  I think it was something about its origins in one of the BSDs,
and how the maintainers responsible for ensuring its correct operation on
other platforms (including Linux) had more or less abandoned it.  I don't know
if this is still the case?

Regardless, I originally chose openntpd because it seemed easier to configure,
but I've since realised that's not really true.  NTP itself is perfectly
simple, and definitely *is* very well supported.

Paul