[arch-general] configuring the kernel in a chroot using devtools

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 13:37:02 EDT 2013

Op zaterdag 10 augustus 2013 16:43:45 schreef Joakim Hernberg:
> Hi there,
>
> I occasionally need to create new kernel config files for the
> aur/linux-rt package.  Since I try to keep the config as close as
> possible to core/linux, I regularly pick up the config files
> from core/linux and then apply the changes needed to make a good -rt
> kernel.
>
> My problem is to create config files for i686 as I don't have such a
> machine anymore.  core/linux has instructions to uncomment make
> menuconf/nconfig to configure the kernel, but when I try to configure
> the kernel in a chroot using the extra-i686-build script, I can't
> navigate the gui, all I get are escape chars printed on the screen.
>
> I've tried to make ncurses an explicit makedepends, and I've also
> checked the TERM variable, which is set to xterm, just as in my normal
> shell. No idea what to check for after that, but hopefully someone can
> point me to my mistake.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

When you want to configure your kernel, the logging redirection must not be
there.

so the quickest solution i can think of is edit /usr/bin/makechrootpkg

line 171, change the makepkg_args to:
makepkg_args='-s --noconfirm'
so removing the -L --holdver
--holdver you could keep in but since it is not a vcs package it will not make
a difference.

When you are actually building the kernel, change makechrootpkg back so you
have a nice an complete logging

--
Ike