[arch-general] configuring the kernel in a chroot using devtools

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Sat Aug 10 10:43:45 EDT 2013

Hi there,

I occasionally need to create new kernel config files for the
aur/linux-rt package.  Since I try to keep the config as close as
possible to core/linux, I regularly pick up the config files
from core/linux and then apply the changes needed to make a good -rt
kernel.

My problem is to create config files for i686 as I don't have such a
machine anymore.  core/linux has instructions to uncomment make
menuconf/nconfig to configure the kernel, but when I try to configure
the kernel in a chroot using the extra-i686-build script, I can't
navigate the gui, all I get are escape chars printed on the screen.

I've tried to make ncurses an explicit makedepends, and I've also
checked the TERM variable, which is set to xterm, just as in my normal
shell. No idea what to check for after that, but hopefully someone can
point me to my mistake.

Many thanks in advance,

--

   Joakim