[arch-general] no mp4 playback with VLC

Nelson Marambio nelsonmarambio at gmx.de
Sun Aug 18 10:26:39 EDT 2013

Hi, folks,

I downloaded a video file from YouTube which makes my players hang.

VLC neither plays audio or video but just remains as if no file was in
the playlist (in fact it is).

When I start vlc (vlc -v) from console and try to play that video file
vlc writes to the console

mp4 stream warning: unknown box type tft (incompletely loaded)

When I feed Google with this message I receive just similar results
('tft' seems to be individual to my problem) but not a solution.

******************

When I try to play the file with GNOME Mplayer it works but without the
sound. I already checked in the preferences that I  don't use the
internal volume control of Mplayer.

Does anyone have a hint for me ? I am unsure if a codec is missing
because VLC would tell me that ?!?

As Mplayer can decode the images I think the file is not corrupted. But
what about the sound ?

The video file is located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ifeJZSQ64
(480p, file size is approx. 415 MByte)

I downloaded it with this Firefox extension: http://www.downloadhelper.net/