[arch-general] no mp4 playback with VLC

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 09:41:52 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Nelson Marambio <nelsonmarambio at gmx.de>wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> I downloaded a video file from YouTube which makes my players hang.
>
> VLC neither plays audio or video but just remains as if no file was in
> the playlist (in fact it is).
>
> When I start vlc (vlc -v) from console and try to play that video file
> vlc writes to the console
>
> mp4 stream warning: unknown box type tft (incompletely loaded)
>
> When I feed Google with this message I receive just similar results
> ('tft' seems to be individual to my problem) but not a solution.
>
> ******************
>
> When I try to play the file with GNOME Mplayer it works but without the
> sound. I already checked in the preferences that I  don't use the
> internal volume control of Mplayer.
>
> Does anyone have a hint for me ? I am unsure if a codec is missing
> because VLC would tell me that ?!?
>
> As Mplayer can decode the images I think the file is not corrupted. But
> what about the sound ?
>
> ********************
>
> The video file is located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ifeJZSQ64
> (480p, file size is approx. 415 MByte)
>
> I downloaded it with this Firefox extension:
> http://www.downloadhelper.net/
>
> output vlc: http://pastebin.com/mhYDeGK4
> output GNOME Mplayer: http://pastebin.com/yp6U6w9d
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nelson.

I cannot find the 480p MP4 version. I get:

$ youtube-dl -F http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ifeJZSQ64
Available formats:
35      :       flv     [480x854]
44      :       webm    [480x854]
34      :       flv     [360x640]
18      :       mp4     [360x640]
43      :       webm    [360x640]
5       :       flv     [240x400]
17      :       mp4     [144x176]

I tried downloading the format 18 and the 44 and they both play fine in my
machine.

About your gnome-mplayer log, the curious thing is that is doesn't detect
any audio stream at all.
I'm using mplayer2, and I get all the audio information without problem:

$ mplayer --identify --frames=0 video.mp4
ID_AUDIO_ID=0
ID_AID_0_LANG=und
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang und

And about your VLC log, I think that more relevant than the "unknown box
type tft" are the lines:

5. [0xb6a062e8] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type sidx (incompletely
loaded)
6.
7. [about 200 times the line above]

My guess is that your file is simply corrupted. You can try downloading it
again, but my advice is to use the excellent tool "youtube-dl".

--
Rodrigo